NATIONAL CHRISTIAN PILGRIMAGE TO ISRAEL
In the footsteps of Jesus, the Apostles, and the Prophets in the Holy Land
PROMOTED AND PRESIDED OVER BY MINISTRY OF CHIEFTAINCY AND RELIGIOUS AFFAIRS
AUGUST 20 TO AUGUST 27, 2018
MONDAY, AUGUST 20
DEPARTURE FROM ACCRA TO TEL-AVIV
Happy the pilgrims inspired by You with courage to the Ascents. (Psalm 84,5).
Departure from Accra on a scheduled flight with Ethiopian airlines. Overnight on Board.
TUESDAY, AUGUST 21
ARRIVAL IN ISRAEL, TEL AVIV, TIBERIAS, SEA OF GALILEE
Come let us go up to the mountain of Yahweh, to the Temple of the God of Jacob that He may teach us his ways so that we may walk in his paths (Isaiah 2, 3)
- Arrival at Tel Aviv Ben Gurion airport in the early hours of the morning. Meeting with Holy Land Israel representatives. Departure in air conditioned bus towards Galilee, passing through Haifa and Mount Carmel, where the prophet Elijah retreated to after defeating the priests of Baal. Breakfast on top of the Mount of Beatitudes where Jesus preached the Sermon on the Mount. Transfer to hotel in Tiberias. Time for rest.
- In the afternoon, Boat Ride on the Sea of Galilee
- Dinner and overnight in hotel
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 22
NAZARETH, CANA, CAPERNAUM, TABGHA, PRIMATUR
Leaving Nazareth he went and settled in Capernaum, a lakeside town on the borders of Zebulon and Naphtali. In this was the prophecy of Isaiah was to be fulfilled. Land of Zebulon! Land of Naphtali! Way of the sea on the far side of Jordan. Galilee of the Nations! The people that lived in darkness has seen a great light: on those who dwell in the land and shadow of death a light has dawned. (Matthew 4, 13-16)
- In the morning, visit of Nazareth. The Annunciation where the Angel Gabriel brought the news of the birth of Christ to Mary
- The Church of Said Joseph, built where the Holy Family lived.
- Visit to the site of the Synagogue of Nazareth where Jesus revealed his mission.
- Visit to Capernaum (synagogue and Peter’s home), the remains city of Jesus and Tabgha (site of the Miracle of the multiplication of Loaves and fishes)
- The Primatur (where Jesus preached Sermon on the Mount)
- Dinner and overnight in Nazareth
- Stopover at Cana in Galilee, where Jesus transformed water into wine at the wedding feast. Possibility for married couples to renew wedding promises.
THURSDAY, AUGUST 23
MOUNT CARMEL, JORDAN RIVER, QAS’R EL YAHUD, DEAD SEA, JERICO, BETHLEHEM
He came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John … As soon as Jesus was baptized he came from the water, and suddenly the heavens opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming down on him. And a voice spoke from heaven. This is my son, the Beloved; my favour rests on him. (Matthew 3, 13-17).
- Breakfast at hotel. Departure for Mount Carmel, Elijah’s mountain where the Prophet defeated the false prophets of Baal.
- Continue to Qaser el Yahun on the Jordan River, where John Baptist baptized Jesus.
- Renewal of baptismal commitments in the Jordan River.
- Stopover in Jericho, one of the oldest cities in the world. See the Sycamore tree that Zacheus climbed to see Jesus and the mount of temptations.
- Stop over at the Dead Sea, the lowest point on earth at about 400m below sea level. A chance to float on the Dead Sea.
- Continue to Bethlehem, passing through Jerusalem. Dinner and overnight in hotel.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 24
JERUSALEM, MOUNT OF OLIVES, GETHSEMANI, VIA DOLOROSA, CALVARY, HOLY SEPULCHRE
How I rejoiced when they said to me. ‘Let us go to the house of Yahweh!’ and now our feet are standing in your gateways, Jerusalem. (Psalm 122, 1-2).
- Breakfast at hotel. Departure to Jerusalem. Official encounters and visit to the holocaust museum, the Yad Vashem.
- Visit the Mount of Olives, Garden of the Gethsemane, Basilica of the Agony, Convent of the Our Father, Chapel of the Dominus Levitt, the Virgin Mary’s Tomb. Way of the Cross along the Old City, and entry to church of the Holy Sepulcher, visit to Mount Calvary and the tomb where Jesus was buried and rose from the dead. Dinner and overnight.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 25
JERUSALEM, CHURCH OF NATIVITY, SHEPHERD’S FIELD, MOUNT ZION, WESTERN WALL, CARDO
Glory to God in the highest and peace to men who enjoy his favour….. The shepherds said to one another “Let us go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened which the Lord has made known to us” (Luke 2, 14-16).
- Breakfast at hotel. In the morning, visit the Church of the Nativity of Jesus and the grotto of said Jerome.
- Visit to the Shepered’s Field where the Angels brought the news of the birth the Messiah.
- In the afternoon, departure to Jerusalem and stop at the Western Wall, the magnificent ruins of the Temple of Herod, walk through the Jewish quarter, the Cardo and visit Mount Zion, the first settlement of the Christian community of Jerusalem.
- Visit to the Upper Room where Pentecost took place and Jesus celebrated the last supper.
- Dinner and presentation of Jerusalem Pilgrim Certificates.
SUNDAY, AUGUST 26
BETHLEHEM/JERUSALEM, KNESSET, YAD VASHEM OR ISRAEL MUSEUM
I saw the holy city, and the New Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, as a beautiful bride all dressed for her husband. Then I heard a loud voice call from the throne, ‘You see this city? Here God lives among men. He will make his home among them; they shall be his people and he will be their God; his name is God-with-them. He will wipe away all tears from their eyes; there will be no more death and no more mourning or sadness. The world of the past has gone. (Revelation 21, 3-4).
- Communication service at the Garden Tomb.
- Free time for shopping and exploring the city Jerusalem.
- Return to Bethlehem. Preparation and further free time for packing.
- Dinner in hotel and department for airport.
MONDAY, AUGUST 27
May Yahweh bless you and keep you. May Yahweh let his face shine on you and be gracious to you. May Yahweh uncover his face to you and bring you peace. (Numbers 6, 24-26).
Departure in the early hours of the day from Tel Aviv and arrival in Accra via Addis Ababa at about midday